Sunday, May 06, 2007

Test Drive

Using AutoTrader online, I found a dealership near my old workplace that had 4 cars of interest. It was going to be a very productive day!

Incredibly, I ended up driving a single car: 2 of the cars had sold, one was damaged (some sales goon had broken the door handle), and the car I did test-drive wasn't the same one as online.

*sigh* At least the sales guy was a decent hombre.

The results:

Mazda RX-8 (see it here)

The experience was a bit of a turnoff because it was clear that the previous owner was a smoker. So I switched gears from "is this the car?" to "is this the type of car?".

The RX-8 is unique as it has a rotary engine. Dan owns one and loves it. I must say, it has more guts/power than the car magazines give credit. Not for me though... I'm not taking a chance on cooking a rotary and the clutch pedal travel rubbed me the wrong way. Fun ride though

Infiniti G35 (see it here)

This was the car with the broken handle. Black on black (though no tinted windows as with the link above).

I gotta say, it stole the show. I sat in it and saw a whole new persona for CC V 2.0: Batman. Leather interior. This thing is sex on wheels, at least pending a test-drive. Sadly, this ride was an automatic. But we will be seeking others. And they shall be black.

5 comments:

K. said...

Dan does love his RX, but most folks don't see the need to drive 130 mph through the downtown area. :) The man loves his toys.

Black looks great - but they are a b*tch to keep clean. Something to bear in mind if having a spot free car matters. I test drove the black version of my car, and after I saw how many handprints were on it after just 24 hours - no way. Not to mention the white bird poo shows up so nicely on the jet black finish. Of course, I'm also slightly neurotic about things...

Make sure you ask for a 24 hour test drive - I had never even heard of that, but I am so glad the dealer offered it. I tell everyone to do it now. My girlfriend did it and realized after 24 hours she really didn't like the car. Test drove another and fell in love. It will really help you know you're making the right decision.

M Easter said...

K,

They say that about black but also white, non? And most colours in between?

CC

K. said...

Some cars are worse than others, though. Black and bright red are the worst offenders. If you plan on going muddin' I would avoid white, otherwise white isn't too bad. Gold, blue, silver - any of the lighter colors hide dirt very well. I love my light green - it shows nothing! My bright blue Saturn wasn't too bad either.

Anonymous said...

G35 gets my vote hands down - damn sexy car! You'd be a pimp! ;-) (not mine of course - but you know...)

M Easter said...

i'm already a pimp in my pimp-go-cart!

i've got the rings & hat to prove it ;-)