Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Test Drive #2

Even with a failing computer, we can't break the "Captain Compact" between CC and the legions of fans. A test-drive synopsis was promised, and will happen:

Infiniti G35

I test-drove a red one, with tan interior. I think the red was a downer for me, because it wasn't as appealing as the gorgeous black-on-black. The car rode nicely, but was louder than I expected -- possibly due to low profile tires. It has a V6 at about 260 HP, though, so it would definitely haul. The clutch pedal, as mentioned earlier, was another schoolbus-like experience.

Mini Cooper S

The S means "Singer Sewing Machine of Scintillation" -- a turbo. This is the first turbo I have ever driven. It was a light yellow Mini with black trim, and tricked out with lots of bells and whistles. It was fast. After the expected 1-2 second turbo lag, there was a sound from the dash like a sewing machine with rabies. It didn't feel fast but the speedo didn't lie -- and there is no missing the speedo as it is in the center of the dash, about the size of a dinner plate.

You think I'm joking? Click here

Definitely a fun ride, but I wonder if my go-cart days are over for awhile. I found myself wondering how it would do in winter etc.

The wildcard

At one dealership, the guy had an '06 Mustang with hail damage. For some reason, that really lit the lamp: a good deal on a car that is already broken in. Very appealing to me, for some reason. Unfortunately, the car wasn't. It was a V6 (+1 for the commute, versus V8), silver (-1 on metallic colours), an automatic (-1 I was dying at this point), and no sunroof or anything fun. It was a boring, rental-esque gray Mustang. Too bad, if it was black and a stick, I might have done a deal right then and there.

I gotta say that the Prius is bouncing back... The skinny is that I realized today when I want to go for a drive and think about things, I go on my bike. I don't think that is going to change much, even with a sportscar. 25 mph on a bike is rather interesting. I just wish the Prius wasn't so utilitarian! I often cite the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other. The Prius is a total angel: not a sign of the devil anywhere.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have thought it all about an Audi A3? That's a fun little car with a practical side.

Anonymous said...

You know, come winter, you might be happy with an automatic. Unless you never, ever have to parallel park.