Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Game On

My arch rival, the dreaded Jim G, and I are still in frequent contact. In fact, we work about 15 minutes away from each other and plan to run together Thursday evening.

2 big events coming up:
  • St Peter's Recplex Tri. The next tri, in mid-June! Jim G, his band of neighbours/friends, and I will be in the same group. This will be our 4th excursion out in St Pete. Note that the alltime score, for all triathlons, is 3-2 in favour of Jim G. However, I'm on a 2-tri streak.
  • StL Track Series. This is a series of track events at Parkway North. They range from 3 K, 1 m, 1500 m, etc each week down to the 400 m showdown. And new this year: a 100 m drag race. I'm stoked. I always enjoy this event even though I am often dead-last in my heat. The people there are crazy fast.

Aside from demoralizing Jim G at every opportunity, I have 2 goals for the track series.

Goal 1: the Miracle Mile

I'd like to break 6 min for the mile. I actually thought this might be my "breakthrough" but I've already done it! Though it is by no means obvious that I can do it out in the heat. My record at Parkway North is 6:25. Hopefully I'll destroy that at least.

Goal 2: the Drag Race

Goal #2 involves the 400 m. This is one lap around the track. As they say, "run as hard as you can, for as long as you can". Zero strategy, unlike the more complex 800m. In 2003 I ran the 400 in 70 seconds, which I have never reached again. Jim G, to his credit, did 66 seconds which was unbelievable. He was so red and out of breath that I was actually worried that he would blow a gasket at the end.

No comments: