Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Volcanic Disruption

Due to some physical ailments, studying for work, great road-trips, etc, I haven't worked out in 12 days: not since the epic 15 miler.

It's killing me. I'm irritable as hell. I'm also highly stressed so I've been eating like a fiend. I've probably only gained 3-4 lbs but it feels like 50.

I have never experienced a "runner's high" but I do think that intense exercise is psychologically addictive: the after-glow is awesome, but the real hook is the joy of a new personal best. I was really hoping to break past 15 miles last week but it wasn't to be.

The good news is that I took my beloved Blackbird to the shop this week. I hadn't touched it in SIX months (how is Oct 1 thru Apr 1 six months long? i keep redoing the math). It was so nice to saddle up Herbie again (which I can do blindfolded) and lift that gossamer-light steed out of its stable.

I can't wait for it to get warm again and go for a ride. Out of the 3 sports, the biking is a high-maintenance prima donna. It's expensive and it's relatively hard to do (weather, schlepping stuff to the lake, etc) but it's by far the most fun. A bike brings out the kid in us every time.

No wonder Amsterdam is so peaceful...

ps. This entry is a rambler. The gist (vis-a-vis the title) was going to be the importance of continuity with respect to hobbies/passions. Kinda like "habit" only more powerful. More later...

No comments: