Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Various and Sundry Factoids

Factoid 1

I haven't swam in a month! Gah! I swear, if you just let up for a second....

Factoid 2

Readers may recall that, 2 weeks ago, I was approached by a man who needed gas money. I gave him $25 and haven't seen a lick of it. Fleeced.

Opinionoid 3

I sure hope NBC went through a major ethical review before showing the video/pics/etc of the Virginia Tech killer. I don't get any news at work but I'm hoping there is serious outrage that NBC did basically exactly what the monster wanted.

3 comments:

Chairman Mom said...

Re: VT: Yes, there is outrage. NBC prefaced their airing of the footage by saying the families of the victims were furious and that their own news staff was sharply divided on the topic.

Listen, it would come out via FOIA or leaks anyway. Surely you don't think that if NBC refused to show it, no one would?

Nonetheless, the less said about the monster, the better.

Anonymous said...

I was impressed with the Calgary Herald... the footage was covered as an inside story, but the front cover was photos of the victims.

M Easter said...

re: FOIA. True, there would eventually be leakage but there is just something about the timing and the handling that implies it is the typical "if bleeds, it leads". There may have been debate but what is the argument against: "let's give authorities and the families access and we will air it in 3 months" etc.

I don't know what goes on in the mind of the insane, but if seeking attention is at all part of the crazy calculus, then NBC granted the monster his last wish, posthumously. Unbelievable, IMHO.

I was delighted to see that PBS didn't show the video.