Monday, April 16, 2007

Phoenix is My Kind of Town

I just flew in from Phoenix, and boy are my arms hot! But it's a dry heat....

I had a fantastic trip at Chez Traci's Folks. She and her fam were wonderful, generous hosts and gave me a great tour of the area. We also attended a highly weird wedding reception straight out of "My Big, Fat Goth Wedding".

Some highlights, which I hope to document soon:

-- I saw my first NBA game! The Phoenix Suns, featuring fellow Canuck and 2-time MVP Steve Nash, played at home. The seats were great. I felt like Jack Nicholson or Spike Lee. Oh, and the opponents were the LA Lakers with Kobe Bryant (can you say "kick ass" ?). Suns won.

-- We climbed 2 major summits in the Phoenix area: Squaw Peak and the famous Camelback Mountain. The ascents were about 1400 ft in elevation and 1.25 miles (about 45 minutes each way). A great workout that was really different for my body. I wasn't breathing _too_ heavily, but my legs were working hard, and I was definitely sweating by the end of it. There shall be pics, but for now, trust me when I say that the view was spectacular. Classic southwest: cactus, lizards, and desert, with the urban oasis of Phoenix in the valley.

-- We also toured some areas around PHX, including Scottsdale (very fancy, with world-class resorts and some seriously high-end homes) and Cave Creek (on the fringe of the hardcore desert). And some great food throughout the trip....

Stay tuned for pics....

2 comments:

K. said...

I have had the pleasure of climbing Camelback - it is beautiful. A very different beauty than I'm used to - harsher,and more brutal, but still beautiful.

K. said...

PS - Glad to have you back!