Sunday, January 07, 2007

Year of the Captain

Due to illness, I have been remiss in writing about goals for 2007.

However, now, as I look around, it's just you and I in this giant ballroom. The faux-resolutioners are gone. There's nothing here but a mess of plates and wine glasses; streamers and balloons lay scattered on the floor; a tattered "Happy 2007" banner hangs awkwardly from the ceiling. You can hear echoes reverberating through the place as the band packs their equipment onto the bus.

Since the poseurs are gone, let's get serious, shall we? None of these "I'd like to lose weight" vagueries. No "I might volunteer for some non-determined charitable cause". Let's get down with some serious accountability and realism.

Here are mine:

-- Finish the 1/2 Ironman triathlon in Mattoon, IL, Sept 07
-- Complete a full marathon without walking
-- Figure out how to post "What I'm Reading" on blogspot and keep it active: at least a book a month (on top of tech books and the zillion magazines)
-- Learn at least one song (on piano) a month. No longer than a week straight without playing.
-- Get back to Europe and/or Paris.

and yours? They don't have to be anything like mine: just share 'em!

C.C.

ps. Bonus points if I do the 1/3 Ironman tri in Aug 07 and then the 1/2. I think I can do the 1/3 but both fitness goals listed above are definitely outside my comfort-zone. And yet possibly achievable. We'll see.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My resolutions actually do have to do with weight and the dreaded word "exercise." And I was good yesterday. I did a whole hour long exercise video...then I ate a third of a pound of peppermint bark...but I exercised for a whole hour!

Just me said...

I didn't post my goals for this year on the net...that's a private list...but I did post my ten in ten list...which I am hoping to start on this year.

My more personal goals (the ones I'm willing to share here) also include the dreaded weight and exercise word...along with trying out three new veggies, learning to cook (from scratch) two of my favourites dishes and visiting the library at least 2X a month...yes, to borrow books.

Anonymous said...

ahhh...yes -the New Year - everything seems possible. Let's see...this year I have resolved to: (in no particular order)

1.Learn how to knit
2.Wear sunscreen everyday
3.Speak less and listen more
4.Conquer Tour De Cure 2007
5.Gain back some flexibility I lost, along w/ the whole "exercise/loose weight" thing.

Just to name a few...I actually have many more but I'm speaking less and listening more these days :-)

M Easter said...

All admirable goals... Good luck to everyone!