Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The Original Arch-Rival

It was a great marketing campaign back home. Generally, people were very responsive to the CaptainCanuck brand -- I coerced some to even set their browser defaults to be the blog. Everything was going great... Part of me couldn't wait to get to StL in 07 and write. After all, I have fans in 2 countries who would be turning to me for guidance in the new year: resolutions, fitness tips, philosophy -- you name it.

Then the cold, and then the flu, and now the malaise. I'm in a colossal struggle with a foe far worse than the nefarious Jim G. It is a virulent strain of complacency. Though I feel much better and am reasonably rested, I am hacking/coughing constantly and couldn't care less about writing, exercise, or music. Not good.

This is how is starts... Sickness is a great excuse for a few days but then the days turn into a week and then it is just a "bad month". I always straighten the course after a couple of months but there's too much at stake for a layoff like that this time....

So I sat at the keyboard (piano) tonight and just played something: anything. Just fun stuff. And I sit here now writing a blog entry. Neither profound, nor amusing, but something.

And in so doing I have just driven my elbow into complacency's gut, in an attempt to free myself from its grip.

This weekend: the gym, the resolutions, and a new blog. The CC brand catapaults into the new year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

there was no coercion but I've set your blog up as my homepage.
Cheers.