Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Trudeau

The CBC is my homepage on the new Mac.

Here is a great collection of iconic Canadian photos on the CBC site.

I could blog paragraphs about most of them, particularly the hockey ones, but the real eye catcher for me is #7.

I think I've blogged on this one before. Trudeau was walking in a procession with the Queen of England at Buckingham Palace. Then he drops back, and unbeknownst to her, does a pirouette as a ham for the cameras.

This is crazy for a world leader in the Queen's presence.

And massively influential for me. Like Kennedy in the US, Trudeau's policies and performance as PM are overshadowed by his personality and vision for Canada (particularly bilingualism, which helped shape me as a person, and federalism which has been our Big Debate forever, but particularly since 1980).

I'm delighted to have found this picture!

No comments: