Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sidney Crosby

I almost didn't watch OT. I nearly went for a drive.

It wasn't the shock or awe of the late goal with the goalie pulled. It was that I felt it coming, as I've seen the movie before. In 1996, the USA beat Canada in the World Cup using 6-on-5. It was the only time I've ever seen it work.

The premonition, and then the follow through here in 2010, was a dagger through the heart. I nearly left.

Even now, I'm numb. I can't believe we won. And, as Vic says, it couldn't have been scripted better for Sidney Crosby: relatively quiet all tournament, the lion came out of the cage in the span of about 2 seconds, beating the stout US netminder.

Unbelievable.

It is now, officially, an unequivocally Great Games for Canada.

CC

ps. Congrats to the US hockey team on a great Olympics, and for taking several years off my life in 2 separate games.

No comments: