Tuesday, February 23, 2010

More Olympics

I just saw Ashleigh McIvor win gold in women's ski cross. I saw the result online earlier today, but I was still shouting here tonight, and delighted for her.

This whole "Own the Podium" initiative has been very difficult on our athletes. It was intended as an ambitious goal (in part to sanction gov't funding), but I think that the additional pressure on individuals has been tough.

That said, it is hard to swallow the results of men's speed-skating, alpine skiing of any type, and of course (ahem) the men's hockey team (which can only be
mentioned now that they have throttled Germany).

Anyway, I salute McIvor and of course Virtue and Moir of ice-dancing fame! Last night, NBC stayed with the ice-dancing medal presentation and the national anthem. It was terrific. I am beginning to love NBC and its cable channels.

CC

ps. Canada-USA set a new mark for TV ratings in Canada, but my guess is that Canada-Russia tomorrow night will be one for the ages in terms of ratings.

No comments: