Friday, January 04, 2008

Year of the Near Misses: 2007

Keen readers may remember the Resolutions of Jan 07. I really upped the stakes back then: travel to Europe, complete 1/2 Ironman, and run a marathon.

I accomplished none of these. The headline is: one yard short. But didn't John Stuart Mill write that a person's reach should exceed their grasp? That true growth, the joie du vivre, comes from our attempts?

Whatever. Mill was a loser and his quotes are utilitarian at best (ha ha).

Now, I aspire to George Dubya's "soft bigotry of low expectations".

Well, no one needs to read a grocery list of disappointments. Let's accentuate the positive, as they say:
  • Surely, there were good times: killer trips to Memphis, Phoenix, Vegas, and home. Celebrations of weddings, birthdays, Thanksgivings, and lives well-lived with my people in StL and PEI. In public, much laughter.
  • Some successes through work, and some stunning wins on the tech blog. Two words: James Gosling. My my.
  • I ran a mile in 6 minutes! Possibly the purest accomplishment of the year.
  • Though the heat stroke at the 1/3 Ironman began a downward spiral for the year, I did finish the damn thing.
  • On piano, I practiced every day until an eerie, inexplicable cessation in March -- oh wait, that's a negative :-}
Anyway, see ya 2007. Come on in '08, and sit yourself down.

Resolutions to come.... I don't take them super-seriously, but I do like thinking about them. No vague goals (e.g. "exercise more") for me....

No comments: