Saturday, June 30, 2007

Happy Canada Day



I am waving a small Canadian flag near my desk... Tough to be away from home today, especially with memories like this pic: this is the Parliament in Ottawa, with fireworks behind, over the Ottawa River, which flows betwixt anglophone Ontario and francophone Quebec. The symbolism is profound. If the defining historical struggle in the US is uniting black and white, ours is surely uniting the English and French.

Random... One time, when I lived in Kentucky, I was at a party. An older man heard that I was from Canada and thanked me/Canada for our help in the Iranian hostage crisis of 1979-1980. In brief, an ambassador, Ken Taylor, hid some Americans for many weeks in his official residence.

Here is a recent story about the great escape, in Wired magazine. The story is more about the CIA's plan to get the hostages out of the embassy, but it has this quote....

The Yankees said it, not me, so it's not bragging (?). Quoteth:

CIA cover stories are generally designed to be mundane and unlikely to attract attention. That's how Mendez's plan started out. He would use Canadian documentation for the Americans, because of the common language and similar culture — and, well, everybody loves Canadians.

No comments: