Saturday, June 16, 2007

Blog tag for Dad

In the spirit of blog tag, and the post for Mom, here are 5 things about my Dad.

1. He's as honest as they get. Not just in terms of money etc, but intellectual honesty, which I define as prioritizing truth over ego. If my Dad doesn't know the answer, he'll tell you. He also sees both sides of an issue as a true philosopher does.

2. There's not many answers that he doesn't know. He has spent a lifetime reading and learning about how stuff works: mechanical (his trade), electronics, you name it. As we grew up, Dad was always in a nearby room working on something. Fictional TV bores him.

3. Dad doesn't sit around much. In 30+ years or so, he has given blood 200+ times, volunteered for 25+ years for the fire department (a huge commitment -- imagine getting up at 3 am to dig out your driveway of snow, so you can go rescue someone's house), has been an elder in our church, and lately as been a civic leader, making it to deputy mayor of our town.

4. Here's one that may surprise even Island readers. When I was 6, two friends told my dad that I had stolen a little toy car. I don't remember getting a chance to testify but I do remember having my hide tanned right there and then, in front of the other boys. There is no greater humiliation. Years later, I understood and am grateful. I would (will?) do the same. "Time outs" didn't exist back then, and even now they don't build character.

5. He once bought an antique swather (kinda like this one) for $150. No one knows why.

Happy Father's Day to Charlie and all the Dads!

No comments: