Thursday, September 27, 2007

Window of Vulnerability

I normally love September for a variety of reasons:
  • I was in school for 18 years and September was my New Year.
  • The weather.
  • The wonderful mix of hockey, baseball, and football.
Lately, Sept/Oct have been tough:
  • I am faced with fairly major decisions about staying in StL for another year and my career.
  • I haven't seen my family in 9+ months.
In many ways, January is easier, because I've seen everyone and I know The Island for what it is: the ups and downs. As time goes by into the year, it becomes easier to romanticize the good ol' days. By September, there are no bad days on The Island. It's all rosy.

Rose-coloured glasses about home. And new contracts/obligations in St Louis. A good life with great friends in StL. Small decisions that ultimately add up to The Big Picture. Not a fun combination.

One gets emotional.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know exactly how you feel!!

Anonymous said...

I know your pain. I still have mixed feelings.