Saturday, December 02, 2006

Now is the Winter of our Discontent

We've had a bit of a storm here in StL. I'm always biased that "real" storms happen back home but I'll grant that this one was pretty good.

I don't know the stats but a lot of freezing rain/ice and then an uncharacteristic dump of snow. The biggest news for the area is that power is out again for many residents -- this just after a PR fiasco in July when a thunderstorm left the power company scrambling. Though true sympathy goes towards the families who are trying to cope, I am sympathetic to the power company in that one can only fix things _so_ fast. (I am less sympathetic toward their enormous profit margins and rate hikes).

Some thoughts:

-- I love how winter brings people together. I have had more spontaneous conversations in the last 2 days than the last 2 months. I shovelled out a guy's car and may have found a new compadre to hit the bars with.

-- I have also been the frequent recipient of kindness, thanks to a go-cart/Miata named Herbie. Not good... I also managed to punch a small hole in the top in a fit of ice-clearing enthusiasm/rage. Really not good.

-- When I first got my car, it had mud-snow tires on it. I think that gave me a false sense of security for winter -- the car was great in the snow. Alas, those tires are long gone

2 comments:

Binky said...

CC,
What was your first car? (mine was a '93 Polynesian Green Geo Metro).
B.

M Easter said...

My first car is Herbie, if you can believe it! No car from 1991 through 1996, and then Herb for the next decade.