Sunday, October 29, 2006

New Neighbours

I have been hearing some significant noises on the deck above me.

I was concerned that the raccoons were back (gah!). However, from the "thumps", I knew that if it was raccoons, then they had gained a lot of weight. Plus the noises seemed to be sync'ed to the opening/closing of the patio door.

Yesterday, I received confirmation: someone came to the door, asking if I would fetch a toy for his dogs, as it had fallen onto my deck.

I was happy to retrieve it. I was grateful that there weren't raccoons above me, and, hey, I like dogs as much as the next person. As I was on the deck, I asked the guy what breed he had. He said, "Pitbulls".

I looked up toward the deck above me. There stood two big, mean junkyard dogs who looked very territorial and not happy to see me down there.

Great.

Now, some 24 hours later, I can't believe how often those dogs are out on the deck, which is, essentially, my ceiling. It doesn't bother me as much as the raccoons (who lived inside the deck), but as I type here, there is a constant thumping of 2 large dogs playing.

Dog lovers, fair warning: there may be significant ranting on this blog in the days to come. Sadly, these rants will not be aimed at the dogs, per se, but rather their owners (or a small minority of them, at least).

I have been asked if I'm a "dog person". I'm not. I like dogs, and dearly loved some particular dogs from childhood (RIP, Brawley), but I'm definitely not a dog person. In fact, I don't understand most dog people (much like people don't understand triathletes -- there is nothing "wrong" with either dog people or triathletes, but.....)

ps. There is a chance that these dogs are just visiting. I couldn't tell from the conversation. One hopes....

pps. It is now 12:15 am. I heard the patio door swish open, then a dog running around, then another swish. Surely, SURELY, they aren't letting the dogs pee on the deck?!? Man, I don't want another jihad/holy war with this apartment

2 comments:

Chairman Mom said...

Not to be indelicate, but if they're...uh...relieving themselves on the deck, eventually you'll know about it.

I...uh...smell another fight!

Anonymous said...

In the near future, I see a broom stick hitting your ceiling at the early morn. Pay backs are the best!