Thursday, March 02, 2006

Sights I'd Never Thought I'd See

Sir Paul visits Prince Edward Island! No doubt he will raise awareness about the seal hunt (which I always thought was a bigger deal in Newfoundland), but the big question: will he catch Anne of Green Gables at the Confed Centre? Pity that the seals don't calve in June...

As an aside, I always find our biases toward animal rights to be fascinating. Seal cubs are such an easy target for the media because they are so cute and fluffy and the hunt seems so violent. Yet I would take the fate of a baby seal over ducks (foie gras) or veal any day of the week. Also, KFC and others are notorious for ultra-efficient (and heartless) chicken farming. Where's the outrage for the chickens? My personal bias is for exotic animals -- there's no words for what I want to do to those who hunt tigers...

well this turned into a cheery entry!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, there is at least a piece of good news for our furry buddies... Alberta declared a halt to the provincial Grizzly hunt this week, which is great! Estimates say there are less than 1000 bears left, and up until the announcement, the hunt was expected to continue.