Thursday, March 09, 2006

An E-List Celebrity

A local radio station has a comment-line where people call in and leave messages "we have you on at work all the time!".

I thought I would try a little schtick/comment of my own, and it schtuck -- The Arch 106.5 plays it fairly often (it's rare to hear repeated comments and esp. rare to hear a comment that is 15+ seconds). I called in early in the morning and with a baritone, deadpan voice, drawled something like:

" I'm driving in to work on my mind-numbing commute to my mind-numbing job listening to mind-numbing radio: a spectrum ranging from perky voices gossiping about celebrities to rude hosts with juvenile noises that make me feel like I'm thirteen. Then in this bleak, desolate landscape, I find an oasis -- a radio station that actually plays music in the morning -- and for one brief moment, I think maybe -- just maybe -- everything is going to be ok. "

Several dear friends in StL have heard it and have called me with joyful recognition... But the big question: can I follow-up? What if I left another message (a la serial commentary)... is this the start of something? Hmmmm..... (Btw, my job isn't mind-numbing)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think you are OBLIGATED to follow up. Next time though, we expect you to call it in to your Blog also using that audio blogger feature so we can hear it too!