Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Sternly Worded Letter to Follow

This weekend was the breaking point on the raccoon front. The racket at 4:30 am on Saturday was unprecedented -- it actually sounded like they were hammering. (Bio-mutant DIY uber-raccoons building an addition to their condo?)

Well over a week ago, I requested (a) a trap adjustment on my deck and (b) having a trap placed on the deck above me (where the problem truly lies). This request was not completed. Then, I heard again, on my ceiling, a scurrying, pause, and "splash" that sure sounded like a 10-lb mammal urinating. We have hit for the cycle.

I visited the office yesterday morning. By the end of the day, 3 new traps were placed in various and sundry locations. Bravo! However, I'm still writing a letter. My primary concern is that the staff are fixated on catching the raccoons (using 18th-century technology) and seem nonchalant about the chance of nastiness (fecal matter, bacteria, larvae) getting into the ventilation system. From what I've read, raccoon schisse is unhealthy stuff.

Being a pseudo-hypochondriac, though, I'm not sure if I have a legit concern on the health front....

ps. An update: they did in fact catch raccoon #4 last night (on the roof). The office manager told me, in essence, that she didn't believe there would be fecal matter up there and implicitly stated that she didn't think I heard a raccoon urinating.

1 comment:

JAK said...

Oh yeah? Because raccoons only use flush toilets? Puhlease...