Wednesday, February 14, 2007

DVD Junkie: Season 2

We be feelin' quite unwell at CC HQ lately, but found time to devour most of Season 2 of The Office.

For years now, I haven't understood watching fiction shows and certainly not Netflix/Tivo etc. I remain on guard against the "cult of Tivo" but having just watched four episodes of said program (from Netflix) and one full commentary, I have clearly ceded the shoreline to the Dark Side.

I blame BryGuy. You are on notice, sir!

Some thoughts (other than the usual plot-spoilers):

-- The theme song has gotta go. I like it as an instrumental though.
-- Less time spent on Michael the manager, please!
-- Of course, Jim and Pam have the most interesting interactions, but I love, love, love Jim and Dwight. Dwight is a Hall of Fame character and an excellent actor, against a backdrop of fantastic actors. Even as I write this, I'm not sure I can say he's my favorite.
-- So many plotlines and shots are fresh... They will hint at something or just get to it without a major song-and-dance. E.g. on Halloween, the staff shows up for work in costume. The manager chides the co-ordinators for not decorating. One woman says
that they had put up all kind of stuff. The shot goes to an ultra-brief flashback of the night before, where the cleaning crew dispassionately vacuum up a bunch of cobwebs. Genius but doubly-so because of the brevity.

I'm hooked.

No comments: