Monday, June 19, 2006

If at first you don't succeed, tri tri -- yeah yeah

Well any interested parties have read the headlines by now. After a day of introspection, I have decided the tri was fun. Everything went pretty smoothly but Jim was just faster on the bike and I wilted in the heat during the run.

Some factoids:
-- I was 13 minutes faster than last October (swam/biked faster, ran much slower)
-- Out of 51 racers, in my age group, I finished 40th. Sounds bad, but I'm pretty happy with that
-- I tend to binge on desserts for a week after a tri, but after a decadent dessert last night, I think I'm going to continue my training diet for the next one
-- the order of the "gang of 5" was: Ember, Jim, me, Mike, Robert. Ember torched us in the pool and then on the bike

Every tri has a story, and this one was no exception. People hang their bikes on racks, as shown here.

Well, while some of us "regular folks" were setting up, an elite racer came sprinting out of the pool and grabbed his bike. As he yanked on it, the A-frame bike rack came tumbling down along with about 4 bikes. Yow! Thankfully some of us were able to grab the rack and restore it (we told the elite guy to "go, go, go!" and not worry about it).

That's one thing about tri's: you can be chillin' in your transition area, warming up, chatting, etc, and then someone right next to you is changing gear frenetically. I don't know many sports where (a) changing gear is a timed event or (b) the racers and soon-to-be-racers are in such close proximity.

ps. thanks to everyone for their support!

1 comment:

Chairman Mom said...

13 minutes faster is nothing to sneeze at. That's a BIG improvement.