Friday, April 14, 2006

The Proving Grounds



After hobbling around (with Philipides' ghost laughing heartily) for a few days, I was finally able to try out my new bike at Creve Coeur Lake. CC Lake is a nice park area with a 5+ mile loop around an expansive lake. With temps in the 80s F recently, there are plenty of roller-bladers, bikers, and walkers out there.

Because I can bike there in 5 minutes, it became my own "proving grounds" last autumn, though the only thing I really proved was that a hybrid/mountain bike isn't very fast.

The new bike is fast. For the first time in a hundred years, there were times when I had that nervous feeling that harkened back to when one is just learning to ride. Getting on those "aerobars" is interesting, let me tell you (the steering is ultra-touchy) -- not to mention being clipped into the pedals. One really does "wear" road bikes.

Thankfully no falls or bruises... Jim G had a wipeout on his first ride last year, so that's one moral victory to start the season.

2 comments:

k957 said...

I'm glad to see i'm not the only one whose bike hangs outside the edges of his car. Congratulations on the new steed, may it serve you well in battle.

M Easter said...

Thanks to you both!

re: steed. The Japanese term "bikanara" means "to be one with the bicycle". As that harmony/wa grows, so do my chances for success.